Many carrier’s carts started from the Kings Arms, affixed to the wall of the old building was a steelyard a weighing device used to weigh carts before the introduction of weighbridges. It was also one of the more popular places to entertain the Freemen of the Borough before parliamentary elections and in 1812 they were supplied with free ale, the cost being borne by the political party.
Over the entrance to the old stable yard was an elaborately carved Royal Arms which was removed in the 1870’s and for a time became lost. Eventually found and repainted in time for the jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. It was replaced on the residence by the mayor of the day Burton Steward.
© 2020 The Kings Arms. All rights reserved
The Kings Arms an ancient Inn, the original building is estimated to date back to the sixteenth century, once had spacious stabling accommodating 26 Horses.
In Cromwellian times a local brewer Thomas Medowe owned the Kings Arms. In 1695 the Haven Commissioners dined at the Kings Arms and requested “six dishes of meat for dinner fit to be set before gentlemen”.
The Kings Arms Great Yarmouth was
rebuilt early in the twentieth Century and the arms returned to their proper place and can been seen today high in front of the building.